- Financial Need — All applicants must demonstrate financial need by filing for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). After processing, you must send a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR), Part 1, pages 1-7, to the Southern Scholarship Foundation office. If printing from the web, send us the "Print Summary" and "SAR Transactions" sections. SSF uses the SAR to determine financial need. An Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of 07500 ($7500) is typically the maximum allowed at SSF. However, if your EFC exceeds 07500 and you have extenuating circumstances, please include a "Financial Need" statement and explanation as well as the previous year's tax return from your parent/guardian. You may still qualify for the scholarship. *** If you need assistance with the FAFSA, please utilize this site: http://www.bestschools.com/fafsa/
- High GPA — Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA (unweighted). A majority of our current residents are Bright Future's recipients and enter with a GPA well over the minimum required. * A 501 GED score is the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA.
- Good Character — Applicants must demonstrate excellent character by submitting an essay and providing character references. Applicants must also send a minimum of two (maximum of five) letters of recommendation (letters must be addressed to Southern Scholarship Foundation, be on official stationary or letterhead, and signed by the recommender). Letters should include information regarding the academic ability, character, family background, and financial status of the applicant. Employers, ministers, principals, teachers, counselors, and civic leaders are possible references. We look for young adults who are involved in the community, have worked, and still maintain a high GPA. Family, friends, other students, peers and co-workers are not eligible to be used as references.
- Motivation — With the community based scholarship program we facilitate, the most successful residents are highly motivated to contribute to the cooperative-living atmosphere of Southern Scholarship Foundation. This is demonstrated through the awards and activities list submitted by all applicants.
- Acceptance to University — We must have a copy of the official acceptance letter from FAMU, FSU, FGCU, SFC, TCC, or UF. Undergraduate, graduate, and post graduate students may apply.