WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING HARD COPY APPLICATIONS. ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT AN ONLINE APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED. READ ON FOR FURTHER DETAILS ON APPLYING ONLINE.
Prior to applying, please check eligibility requirements.
There is NO deadline to submit an application. However, you are encouraged to submit your completed online application early in order to have a greater chance of receiving a scholarship.
Applications are accepted year-round. However, for early on-campus housing requests, the priority deadlines are:
March 1st for Fall semester
October 31st for Spring semester
We do not accept new applicants during the Summer semester. When we receive your completed application you will receive an email with further details. You will not be able to submit the application until all items, including the letters of recommendation, are submitted.
Prior to Applying, please review the Application Checklist:
- Photograph — Provide a recent, high-resolution, color photograph of yourself to upload.
- Acceptance to the University — We must have a copy of the official acceptance notice from Flagler-Tallahassee, FAMU, FGCU, FSU, SFC, TCC, or UF. An emailed notice or a current class schedule that shows your GPA are acceptable formats to submit. You may save an emailed notice as a screenshot (JPG) or as a PDF file.
- Honors and Activities List — Please upload a list of honors, clubs, social activities, employment, volunteer experiences, talents, and interests. Resumes are accepted.
- Transcripts — Please be prepared to upload your most recent transcripts from high school and/or any colleges attended. If you are currently attending Flagler-Tallahassee, FAMU, FGCU, FSU, SFC, TCC, or UF, only your college transcripts are required. You must upload your most recent official transcript which includes your cumulative GPA. A screen shot of your unofficial transcript is permitted. * A 501 GED score is the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA.
- Essay — In an essay of 500-750 words, please be prepared to respond to all of the topics below:
1. Write a brief autobiography, which includes your characteristics and general outlook on life.
2. Select the most significant event in your life and discuss how it affected you.
3. Briefly discuss your professional goals and how you hope to achieve them.
4. Tell us why you would make a good candidate for our community living program.
- Financial Information — All applicants must demonstrate financial need by filing for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). After processing, you must upload a copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR), Part 1, pages 1-7, to the Southern Scholarship Foundation office. SSF uses the SAR to determine financial need. An Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of 07500 ($7,500) is typically the maximum allowed at SSF. However, if your EFC exceeds 07500 and you have extenuating circumstances, please include a "Financial Need" statement and explanation as well as the previous year's tax return from your parent/guardian. You may still qualify for the scholarship.
Attention International Students— Although you are not eligible for federal financial aid, you must still demonstrate financial need. Financial documentation may include, but is not limited to, pay stubs and/or income tax information. You will also need a copy of your visa/residency documentation. If you do not fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), then you must calculate your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) using this form and upload the results to your online application. The results must be saved in a .pdf format to be uploaded correctly.
- Letters of Recommendation — Please be prepared to request a minimum of two (maximum of five) letters of recommendation with specific information regarding your academic ability, character, family background, and financial status from any of the following: principal, dean, teacher, advisor, counselor, minister, employer, or civic leader. Once you have selected the recommendees, click on Add or Edit Recommendation Requests on the main application menu and input the information pertaining to each individual.
NOTE: Recommendation letters from friends or family members will not be accepted. The letters should contain information that is not included on other parts of the online application. We are looking for positive house members, strong leaders, and successful students. Letters must be addressed to Southern Scholarship Foundation, be on official stationary or letterhead, and signed by the recommender.
If you are ready & eligible, APPLY NOW!
Note: Incomplete applications may be saved as drafts, but will not be processed until submitted. Applications can only be completed using a desktop computer or laptop (not a smartphone device).